What`s Lurking Beneath Your Gums?

What`s Lurking Beneath Your Gums?

In order to maintain healthy teeth, it’s imperative that you maintain healthy gums. The sole purpose of gums is to hold your teeth in place and protect the base of your teeth. This is where connective tissue attaches the teeth to bone. So when your gums start to have problems, it’s common for it to transfer to the teeth, usually resulting to tooth loss, if the gum issue is left untreated by a professional dental clinic in Cambridge. A lot of the gum problems that people face are preventable with regular visits to a Cambridge dental office

Poor Oral Hygiene Can Lead to Gingivitis…or Worse

Everything you eat becomes lodged into your teeth and gums, leaving it up to you to properly clean them. When this isn’t done correctly, it can cause bacteria to form, causing inflammation along your gum line. This is known as gingivitis. About 70 percent of gum disease cases are caused by gingivitis. The other 30 percent was caused by periodontitis. 

When gingivitis isn’t treated right away by a dental office in Cambridge, the inflammation can lead to the problem escalating upwards towards the connective tissue and bone. When this happens, it leads to periodontitis. The symptoms of periodontitis include:

  • Receding gums
  • Inflamed pockets along the gum line
  • Pain in the gums
  • Sensitivity to hot and cold food and beverages

When things get really bad, teeth begin to fall out. To stop it, go to a dentistry in Cambridge right regularly. 

Combating Gum Problems

Simply brushing your teeth isn’t always enough to keep your gums healthy. Cleaning your gums using dental floss is highly recommended by dentists and oral hygienists. Having regular dental cleanings by a dentist in Cambridge is also recommended twice per year. Here are a couple of tips to help you maintain healthy gums:

  • You should brush your teeth two times per day for two minutes. 
  • Floss daily, especially after meals and snacks. 
  • To provide additional protection, you should use antibacterial mouthwash to help remove plaque. It can also improve conditions of gingivitis. 
  • Try to quit smoking because it increases your chances of getting gum disease. It damages the tissue of your gums, causing more inflammation. 
  • If you already have gingivitis, it’s a good idea to have dental cleaning performed, so that you can have the plaque scraped away from the gum line. 
  • By brushing, flossing and using an antibacterial mouth wash, you can keep gingivitis from coming back. 
  • It’s recommended that you switch your tooth brush every three months (lots of bacteria develop on your toothbrush, leading to increased bacteria in your mouth). 

It’s very possible to keep your gums healthy, given you have the right knowledge and tools to prevent oral health problems. Try these tips to see if you can be sure that there’s nothing sinister lurking beneath your gums. 


Similar articles

Contact Us

Contact Details
180 Alewife Brook Parkway,
Cambridge, MA 02138
Phone: 617-547-0700
Request an Appointment
Whichever specific health issue you're facing, we'll give you a free consultation on it!
Business Hours
MON 9:00am - 6:00pm
TUES,WED,THURS 9:30am - 6:00pm
FRI 8:00am - 4:00pm
SAT,SUN Closed

☎ Call Now:


Request an Appointment