Dentures vs. Implants; Pros and Cons
Everyone has their own unique situation when it comes to their teeth and mouth. If you are weighing the pros and cons regarding getting dentures or implant’s it’s important to know all the facts before moving forward with either one. At Fresh Pond Dental in Cambridge, we are committed to helping you optimize your oral health. We offer both services and are happy to answer questions anytime.
- If you are missing teeth it can make eating and speaking easier.
- It can improve the look of your smile.
- It supports face muscles which can help you keep a younger appearance.
- Dentures today are more comfortable and look more like natural teeth than in the past.
- To get fitted for dentures it may take multiple visits.
- It takes time to get used to dentures. Speaking, soreness, difficulty chewing, and excess saliva can be bothersome. But over time and with practice you will adjust to them.
- Dentures sometimes slip out of position.
- Dentures must be cleaned and stored each night.
- Dentures must be held in place with paste.
- Dentures may need to be adjusted or replaced over the years.
- A beautiful, natural looking smile.
- Gums and jaws remain healthy.
- They are comfortable and feel natural.
- Dental implants are permanent as they are attached to a post implanted in the jaw.
Dental Implant Cons;
- There has to be sufficient bone structure to hold the implant.
- Implants require multiple visits and temporary implants are utilized until the permanent implants are created.
- Minor or pain and swelling can occur as the mouth heals.
There are advantages and disadvantages to both dentures and implants. Consulting with your dentist at Fresh Pond Dental in Cambridge is a great way to get started. Only you can decide which will work better for your lifestyle and dental situation.